Thursday, March 13, 2014

Smile - first trip to the dentist!

I'm catching up... little by little!

(beginning of January)

Our pediatrician recommended that we take the kids to the dentist when they turned two years and I had originally scheduled an appointment shortly after they turned two, but then realized that they had never been added to my insurance.  I cancelled the appointments and reschedule until January because open enrollment was in October and would take effect in January.

We arrived and the first to sit in the chair was little Tony.  He started off by himself really well and even let Donna - the hygienist put the bib around his neck.  He got a little antsy but opened his mouth just long enough to see what teeth he has - only his first year molars... not the 2nd year ones yet.  The dentist did mention that it appears that he grinds his teeth, but there's not much we can do about it at this time.


 Olivia was up next. She was so good.  She's so good to deal with, but she did want to sit on daddy's lap.  She's already got her 2 year molars - she's had them for a while.  She had a good report except she doesn't have much space between her teeth and will tend to build up plaque on her bottom teeth.


Amelia was enjoying herself in the waiting room.  They had a few toys, puzzles and a tv (that the picture kept getting stuck) to entertain her.  She was not a happy camper when we had to pull her away so I didn't get any pictures of her in the chair.  Unfortunately, Amelia's report was the worst.  I say the worst because there's nothing we can do at this time.  I hate just being told we have to wait and see.  What I'm referring to is her small jaw.  She has a very small mandible which equates to have a very large overbite and her sucking her thumb doesn't help it.  The dentist suggested that we contact our pediatrician to discuss it.  If her jaw doesn't catch up with the rest of her skull, she may be looking at orthodontics and possibly surgery.  My poor baby.  I just hope everything will be ok.
Overall it was a good visit and they all got to choose from a big box of toys.  We brought home a few tiaras, balls, and glo-stick bracelets. 

A few weeks after we went, I got a call from the dentist's office and they told me that the insurance was denied because the kids weren't on my policy.  I couldn't believe it, but called my HR phone line and they indeed told me that they were not added back in October.  I (somewhat) calmly explained that I had called in to have someone walk me through how to add the kids so I don't know how it could have gotten mixed up.  So they opened up 'an investigation'.  Luckily, they track all of their phone calls so they had a record of my call and what it was about so they were able to add them on despite it being so far from open enrollment.  So all's well that ends well.  So far.

3 comments:

  1. It’s a relief that everything ended well for your insurance policy and visit to the dentist. I just hope the same is true to your daughter’s jaw. It will surely be heartbreaking for her to undergo a surgery like that.

    Kyle, CDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Providing kids with guidance, as well as good first impressions is really the way to orient them to the ways and means of dental maintenance. That is also where you can truly make some impact, through the dental clinic where you chose to bring your kids to. Might as well make the choices deliver, right?

    Lucia Massey @ Zofia Woyt, DDS

    ReplyDelete