Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Christmas Eve & Christmas Day

Christmas Eve - started out with a fall outside my front steps while leaving to go to work.  I had also found out a few days before that Tony's family was having their celebration on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day.  They always used to do something both - there was a dinner on Christmas Eve and then gifts and and brunch was on Christmas Day.  It was re-arranged as Tony's brothers and their wives and families decided they didn't want to split the day.  They would rather do it this way and I completely understand, but I once again had to work on Christmas Eve.  This has been the norm for the past few years/holidays - Thanksgiving - they decide to change it to Friday when I have to work and Christmas Eve - when I have to work.  Whatever.  I understand it, but it drives Tony wild because he feels like our family is the only one that has to change all of their plans for the rest and never the other way around.

I'll recall the story the best I can of how it all went down.  I got home from work and Tony had the kids up from their nap and getting clothes on them.  I don't remember if we talked about putting the girls in their Christmas dresses - the ones they wore for their pictures...this night or if the conversation took place the next day, either day, we made the decision to not put these dresses on them because we knew that the fur-lined cuffs (see below) would just get completely slopped up and on everything. 
This - we learned later on, was a HUGE mistake.  Because of our sensible decision, I had to get a lecture from Tony's mother a few days later.  I care not to recall the details of that lecture - but I'll add that I was NOT happy being told how I should dress my own kids!
Here's what we dressed them in over the two day holiday...

We ate dinner as soon as we arrived and the gift opening was soon after.  I had discussed with his mother that we'd be coming over on Christmas day and that it would be fine if the kids didn't open the gifts from them - so they'd only been opening the things from their cousins/aunts and uncles...
Well that didn't happen.at.all.  I honestly lost track early on as to who gave what gift because there was no room for Tony and I to sit together with the kids in one general vicinity.  It was just mass chaos.  We barely got to see the other kids open up the things we got them.  We left with the van packed up with most of their things and headed home to unload the incredible mountain of toys.

On Christmas morning it was just Tony and I with the kids.  We didn't get them alot of things but they were excited with the few things they unwrapped.  Included in these gifts were the ones that my sister had shipped.






 Afterwards we went to Tony's parents house for lunch/dinner.  I don't remember anything else much from the latter part of the day but I'm sure we got home and started opening up a bunch of the new toys they received and had a ball until bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment