Sunday, July 1, 2012

Another weekend ends...

I notice that the video from the last post never loaded so I'm working on that now, but wanted to jot down some updates on the trio.
Everyone is able to feed themselves - puffs, cheerios, etc.  and it's so cute to watch them do it.  Tony stuffs a bunch into his palm and just smushes his hand to his face.  Amelia seems to prefer eating O's and puffs over anything else sometimes and Olivia seems to swallow the foods whole - she's so fast eating.  Tony now, along with Olivia is starting to hold his own bottle, but he still likes us to hold him sometimes.  Olivia can now stand on her own!  She can have something in each hand and just stand in the middle of her crib or the play yard - and she can stand for quite a while before getting back down.  Amelia is just starting to stand on her own, but can only do it for a second or two, while Olivia can stand for probably at least 30 seconds. They all can maneuver in the walkers pretty well now and create a traffic jam in the kitchen almost every day.  Tony is tarting to get the baby gates ready to be installed or at least they're out of the box - it's a start!  They've been going in the pool alot lately too - Amelia seems to be the one that likes it the most - she's the one that splashes around most.  She loves her bath too - I'm thinking she's going to be my swimmer! 
Speaking of Amelia - something unfortunate happened this weekend that I debated on even posting about, but decided to do it.  Tony set her down on the floor and she of course went crawling over to the dog.  We heard him growl and then the next thing we know she's crying and the dog is scurrying away.  I didn't even know what exactly happened, but we're thinking that she got scratched on her face in several spots from the dogs paw/claws because he was trying to protect his bone.  He thought she was a threat because she was on all fours crawling toward him.  I felt and still feel terrible that this happened and that I wasn't able to protect her better.  I'm ready to get rid of the dog, but Tony says no.  I'm not understanding why he won't even consider it - the dog obviously has some issues with food aggression - not necessarily with me or Tony but with other animals - we've seen it before with him and I don't want this to happen again.  We did take her to the pediatrician and he said that all the scratches are superficial and will heal up, but my poor baby looks terrible.  I feel horrible and like the worst parent around because this happened with both of us sitting right there.  I asked the doctor if he would consider getting rid of the dog and he stayed neutral and didn't really give his opinion other than saying it's your decision and this scenario is not black and white.  If the situation was different - like she got mauled by the dog or we couldn't separate the two of them, it would be different - there wouldn't be any question about not keeping the dog.  I just don't know - and not sure if I'll be able to trust the dog again - especially with food in the equation.  The dog was fine today - no problems whatsoever, but again, I keep thinking he could snap at any time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment